What Will the Future Bring?

I am mainly interested in working in two different areas of practice.  Right now I think I either want to work with pediatrics or geriatrics.  If I work in pediatrics I think I would want to work in a private clinic or a public agency such as a hospital.  I shadowed a pediatric OT for a couple of months in a private clinic and really enjoyed the setting as well as the children she got to work with and the interventions she used through the sociological and psychological areas.  I love to work with children so that is why I am drawn to this area of practice.  I also liked the different activities and the creativity that was put into every day.  I enjoyed the aspect of thinking outside of the box. 
            I am also interested in working with geriatrics after being exposed to that population.  I think I would want to work in a sub-acute setting or something with a Continuum of Care focus that goes from retirement community to assisted living to rehab to SNF and back.  When I did my internship this summer at The Village at Germantown I was with their activities department so I did not get to see much of the occupational therapy side of things but I loved the population.  I liked the level of care and the area of practice.  I enjoyed the residents and seeing the same people every day and getting to build a relationship with them.  Hopefully in the future I get some fieldwork opportunities in this two areas so I can grow in my experience and knowledge of what setting I am interested in. 

Comments

Popular Posts