Craig's Self-Care Caddy

 

https://youtu.be/efpQneLmYNE

For my media project the item that I had was a milk jug.  My client is a 36-year-old man who fell off a ladder at his music retail store and now has a complete C7 spinal cord injury.  He is expected to stay in the acute care unit for 2 weeks and his goal is to do activities in therapy that will allow him to have the strength and endurance to go to a rehabilitation hospital.  He currently has a halo vest and has flaccid paralysis of his upper and lower extremities.  He requires assistance for all ADLs, transfers, and mobility so I thought of an idea to help ease his occupation of self-care and hygiene.  I turned my plastic milk jug into a caddy for hygiene products.  This way he can have a say in what items are most important to his daily self-care routine, and he has easy access to them as they will be organized in this device.  He also wants more answers so as he and his OT create this item together, they may be able to discuss his situation more in depth.

The most useful thing I discovered was collaborating with other students and throwing out ideas that were important to my client regarding his interests, goals, demographics, current status, and location.  I had a lot of ideas but they did not really connect to my client so talking through the Media Site Project with others was very helpful to me.  I could throw out my idea and build off of it with other students who were in the same situation as I was in.  The way I look at house hold items has now changed a bit.  I also have been able to open my mind up more and not just think of children’s interventions with homemade items.  Prior to reading my case study I had come up with a lot of ideas for children but then when I read my case study and saw that I had a 36-year-old male I knew my previous ideas were too childish.  It was definitely a challenge to change the way I think but by discussing ideas with other students I was able to come up with an age appropriate and innovative idea.  This assignment will help me be more creative in the future and think outside of the box.  I will be able to look at an everyday item and wonder how can I make this relevant for my client?  I will also be able to take this into clinical work with me by providing ideas to my fieldwork educator and for myself in the future.  In clinical work I will remember that the more information I have on a client the better.  I did have a lot of information on Craig but it would have been nice to be able to talk to him and get more specifics from him to see if he liked the idea I was offering.   This assignment has allowed me to brainstorm, research, collaborate, and create. 


*At the top of my blog you can click the link to watch a video with an explanation of my innovation! 


Comments

Popular Posts